Hello World

The next lesson is entitled "A Closer Look at the "Hello World!" Application", and it opens with the phrase "Here again is its code".

If I opened a lesson thus, I think I would quote the entire content of the source file. It is after all only 8 lines. But in the actual lesson, the non-comment section of the code is quoted, and guess what the lesson talks about first: comments. Perhaps it is a trivial point. Perhaps no one else has noticed. But for me, the non-java programmer, it caused me to stop, to read it twice, to work harder to understand what it all meant and where it all fitted in.

I guess the rest of the lesson flows OK, but if I were feeling picky, and I am, I'd make two comments.

The first is the Hello World is a really feeble tool to illustrate programming concepts. I grant that some of the important components are in there, but it's so dull, and it is not thorough.. A practical programmer want a method to do a little more than simply display an inane message. There is no explicitly declared object (to the non-java programmer this whole class thing is gibberish, until it is properly explained), and there are no defined variables or fields.

The second is that a practical illustration (like this, with the main components of code highlighted) might perhaps be better placed after or at the end of the theory trails.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few notes on JavaScript

Forum Comments on Java Applets

Creating a Custom Swing Component